couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Erlang vs Scala
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2009 10:41:01 GMT

On 7 Apr 2009, at 10:12, Wout Mertens wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've always been worried about the fact that CouchDB runs on Erlang.
> After all, the Erlang ecosystem isn't that large or well-established
> in (non-telephony) enterprise settings.
>
> [...]
>
> So I'm wondering what everybody here thinks.

To me Erlang is three things: The language, the stdlib (OTP) and the
VM (BEAM). These three things make Erlang the success it is (in my
opinion). Strip out BEAM and replace with JVM and you get something
"less" (in my opinion). I understand that running on the JVM and using
the Java ecosystem is a bonus for some people, but it is not for me*.

In case it is not clear, this is just my opinion. :)

* There are cases that can be easily found where I'd decide that using
the JVM is a good idea. CouchDB is not one of them.

Cheers
Jan