couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From eric casteleijn <eric.castele...@canonical.com>
Subject Re: couch sequence numbers and _all_docs_by_seq
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 08:08:38 GMT
Paul Davis wrote:
> Eric,
>
> Implementation isn't a problem, but I would fear that replication
> could screw views up. As in, your views would depend on the order of
> document modification which could be impacted quite heavily by
> replication etc.

Ah right, hadn't thought of that. So in a system using replication,
views that would use the sequence number as a key would get a severe
performance penalty? (Just checking to see if I understand the
implications.) That might be a good enough reason not to expose this as
a feature, lest people start depending on it and saying CouchDb is slow
as a result.

If this is true, I suppose it also holds for the built in
_all_docs_by_seq view?

--
- eric casteleijn
http://www.canonical.com