couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From eric casteleijn <eric.castele...@canonical.com>
Subject couch sequence numbers and _all_docs_by_seq
Date Sat, 25 Apr 2009 12:21:25 GMT
Is there any reason not to expose sequence numbers to any view other
than '_all_docs_by_seq'? I find myself wishing I had access to them
again and again.

A simple use case is to be able to query for documents of a particular
type that were last updated within a range of sequence numbers.
Currently I can only do this if I have separate databases for each type,
or id prefixes, so that I can filter out the ids I don't want out of the
views results that way.

If I could build by own view that was able to emit the sequence number
as a key, that would make things much more pleasant.

Are there compelling reasons against a patch that would make this
possible? For instance, would it introduce efficiency penalties to those
not using sequence numbers, or would it just be a very hard thing to
implement?

--
- eric casteleijn
http://www.canonical.com