couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Backporting bug fixes to 0.9
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 17:06:58 GMT
Hello,

I've just been working through the 0.9.x cherry picking and I would like to
propose a change to the formal release procedure. I have followed the
instructions bellow for my own changes. You will find there 15 outstanding
revisions that need to be checked before we can release.

You can find the existing release policy here:

  http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Release_procedure

My proposed changes are as follows:

Before releasing a new tag from the maintenance branch branches/Y.Y.x all
available revisions from trunk must have been merged or blocked. You can get a
list of all outstanding revisions by running the following command:

  svn mergeinfo trunk branches/Y.Y.x --show-revs eligible

You can inspect each revision log with:

  svn log -r REVISION

You can inspect each revision diff with:

  svn diff -c REVISION trunk branches/Y.Y.x

If you don't want to cherry pick a certain revision, you must block it. This is
a way of instructing Subversion that the revision is not eligible for merging.
You can block a revision by running the following commands:

  svn merge -c REVISION --record-only trunk branches/Y.Y.x

  svn commit branches/Y.Y.x -m "blocked REVISION from trunk"

If you want to cherry pick a certain revision, you must merge it. When you merge
a revision, Subversion makes a note so that it is no longer listed as being
eligible for merging. You can merge a revision by running the following command:

  svn merge -c REVISION trunk branches/Y.Y.x

  svn commit branches/Y.Y.x -m "merged REVISION from trunk"

Once this has been completed, there should be no revisions listed as being
eligible for merging. The only time a release tag should be cut from a
maintenance branch is when there are no eligible revisions for merging. This
policy ensures that all changes have been properly reviewed before a release.

Best,