couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Wout Mertens <wout.mert...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Erlang vs Scala
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 02:58:02 GMT
Actually that's an interesting thought...

Let the db store whatever you give it. Attachments do not exist. If a
document is too large to store in the btree, it is stored as a blob
like attachments now.

That would allow you to e.g. create a view with all jpg files and
their resolution by plugging in an indexing framework for image/JPEG
type objects.

Also, couchdb gets to decide what should be a blob and what not. As
computers grow todays 4kb is tomorrows 4mb. Why should all attachments
be stored in files if small ones could sit in the db?

Treating attachments the same as all documents gives them the same
conflict protection etc.

Current large documents would benefit from the streaming code that
attachments get.

The current hierarchy that can be given by embedding / in attachment
names would be generalized to all documents.

I like it...

Wout.

On Thursday, April 9, 2009, Antony Blakey <antony.blakey@gmail.com> wrote:
> Architecting a solution to use both XML and JSON (or any other type) is easy if you a)
store canonical data in uninterpreted binary form and b) allow plugable data-type dependent
indexing.

> I think CouchDB has shown the way to a more generalized solution in this space.
>
> On 09/04/2009, at 11:31 AM, Daniel Friesen wrote:
>

> CouchDB as an XML database? Bah...
> If you're going xml why use Couch? XML already has XQuery standardized and there are
a number of XML database implementations already in existence.