couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Matthieu Riou <matthieu.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Introducing CouchDB Ltd.
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 17:44:35 GMT
On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org> wrote:

> Standard disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.
>
> The name of the official project is Apache CouchDB. I see CouchDB as being
> like Linux, where (as far as I know anyone) is free to use the name. So, IMO
> it is completely fair to name a company CouchDB Ltd. But it also means
> anyone else can name their company CouchDB LLC or The Real CouchDB Ltd. This
> is a bigger problem. You don't have a defensible trademark.

FWIW, the foundation has defended its project names as trademarks in the
past, gently notifying companies that it'd be nicer if they didn't use that
name (thinking of Tomcat and Wicket here for example). I don't know how that
would stand in court but it's never been necessary to go to a court so far,
so I guess the point is moot.

Matthieu