couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Zachary Zolton <zachary.zol...@gmail.com>
Subject Pig, et al?
Date Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:32:30 GMT
Hey all,

Has anyone looked into how a high-level data-processing language could
integrate with CouchDB?

http://wiki.apache.org/pig/PigOverview
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~olston/publications/sigmod08.pdf

I've been reading a bit about (fellow Apache project) Pig, which
implements features analogous to CouchDB views and combinative
operations over views. I'm guessing it's not a perfect fit —otherwise
I wager I'd have heard some mention of it on this mailing list.

Lack of mention aside, the author seems to indicate that their
language/toolkit isn't a good fit for scenarios such as "real-time
data serving requirements", which I took to mean most web apps.

This leaves me with these questions:

  Can we do anything higher-level than one-off scripting of JavaScript views?

  Would higher-level operations be better implemented as a client library DSL?

Sorry for rambling here, but I'd just like to spark some interest —and
volunteer to do some research, given some direction from the Couch Dev
community...

Cheers,

Zach