couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.9.0 release
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2009 02:13:04 GMT
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 12:14 AM, Tim Parkin <info@timparkin.co.uk> wrote:
> Noah Slater wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is the first release after graduating the ASF Incubator.
>>
>> All 0.9.0 blockers have been resolved and I would like call a vote for
>> release.
>>
>> We encourage the whole community to download and test these release
>> artifacts so
>> that any critical issues can be resolved before the release is made.
>> Everyone is
>> free to vote on this release, so get stuck in!
>
> I'd be interested in knowing what happened to the community discussion
> around the removal of the bulk_docs 'feature'? I've tried to raise this a
> couple of times but had little reaction. Am I right in understanding this
> lack of reaction as meaning there is going to be no discussion?

We've been concentrating on bulk docs documentation. In my experience,
most people who understand that the unit of consistency is the
document start to see ways of solving problems that work in a
key/value world. Some use-cases don't fit, but for the 80% case we're
better off with the simpler consistency model.

I'm working hard to make it easy for transactional conflict detection
to develop outside the core project. If it is in demand by many users,
comparison with the default consistency model will be worthwhile.
Damien has said he could see adding the feature back if people want it
and there's a good implementation.

I've moved the Bulk Docs API information to its own page:

http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_Bulk_Document_API

> As some fairly serious issues have been raised about user interaction models
> I would hope that these would get addressed before commiting to a point
> release?

I think the general understanding is that CouchDB is built with a
certain minimalist simplicity in mind. We appreciate that some of our
users have demands that exceed our out-of-the-box functionality. I
think once we have a solid understanding of how to use CouchDB in a
distributed manner, we'll be on steady footing for more ambitious
consistency guarantees.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson jchrisa.net couch.io