couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bulk Docs - 'remove changes so far' Functionality?
Date Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:47:17 GMT
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Wout Mertens <wout.mertens@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 13, 2009, at 4:12 PM, Tim Parkin wrote:
>
>> I think all bulk doc changes were written somewhere and then only
>> switched in once the last was successful.. so no locking.
>
> But then if a normal write comes in while the bulk doc is being processed,
> how did it know to fail that write/fail the bulk?

CouchDB updates are serialized, so if a normal write comes in during a
bulk update, the normal write waits. Of course, all this is different
if the bulk update is spread across multiple nodes. Crossing that
bridge is part of the motivation for limiting the feature to skip
conflict checking.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson