couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reverse proxy design?
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:20:09 GMT
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Amos Hayes <ahayes@gcrc.carleton.ca> wrote:

> Hello. I've been trying to get couchdb to live happily behind under a
> proxied URL like:
>
> http://example.com/couchdb/
>
> And having read through the user list and the instructions at
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Apache_As_a_Reverse_Proxy and experimenting a
> fair bit, I am still at a loss for how to make it live happily while deeper
> than root. Having it proxy to root still causes problems, at least with
> futon and in some tests (using curl seems OK in my very basic queries), and
> having it nested deeper causes futon lots of grief. I'm sorry if I'm mixing
> up couchdb and futon, but for a new user/admin, they are lumped together.

CouchDB should work just fine behind a properly configured proxy, even
when stuck into an additional root. I've had success getting my
proxied CouchDB to pass almost all tests (when proxied to a subdomain,
not a deeper root.)

CouchDB clients (like Futon and the test-suite client) will likely
need some patches so they can work in rerooted deployments. My guess
is that the patches to jquery.couchdb.js to allow a configurable path
prefix would be fairly localized, and that once that's done, there may
be a few little patches needed to the rest of Futon. (For instance to
auto configure the path prefix.)

If you've got a need and the JavaScript chops, I can see a patch for
this being accepted.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson