couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: %2f vs / in _design vs regular docs?
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 15:31:43 GMT
On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 7:57 AM, Wout Mertens <wmertens@cisco.com> wrote:
> On Mar 7, 2009, at 7:05 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Wout Mertens <wout.mertens@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I noticed the following discrepancy: When you try to request a design
>>> document, and you encode the / as %2F, couchdb will redirect you to a URL
>>> with %2f decoded to /, which works.
>>>

>>> _show/wiki/showpage/section/subsection/page
>>
>> The problem becomes distinguishing between documents and attachments.
>

>> Docids are always urlencoded, with the exception of _design/ docids,
>> which can be requested with the / unencoded (the redirect was put
>> there to make that rule self-documenting.)
>
> Well IMHO that punishes libraries that try to do good things for the user,
> now they have to special-case _design/ to avoid a network round-trip. I'd be
> happier if both ways just worked.
>
>> Slashes in attachment names can also be used unencoded, so
>>
>> /db/wiki/showpage/section/subsection/page address the attachment named
>> "showpage/section/subsection/page" on the document with id "wiki"
>
> Right. So in summary, the rule is either of these:
>
> 1. http://server/dbname/document/path/in/attachment
> 2. http://server/dbname/_design/document

also 3. http://server/dbname/_design/document/with/attachment.ext

Currently it's just _design that's special cased. The only other _
docs couchdb allows are _local and they are never seen by end users,
so for now the _design case has worked. There's room to add a resource
at /db/_design/ that lists all the design docs.

> where document is always url-encoded? If so I'll update the wiki.
> (API_Cheatsheet and HTTP_Document_API)

Thanks for the wiki-update offer. That'd be a big help!

>> This was discussed intensively on this thread:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@couchdb.apache.org/msg00018.html
>
> I should have found that, sorry, I didn't think of search first :(

Don't worry about it.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com