couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: I got a little carried away ...
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 17:18:22 GMT
On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 2:49 AM, Christopher Lenz <cmlenz@gmx.de> wrote:

> If those are supposed to make it into 0.9.0, there's no way we can get the
> release out by the end of this week (which is pretty much today or
> tomorrow). Changes of this scale require review and testing, and ideally
> documentation. Just saying :)
>
> Postpone by about 2 weeks, depending on when those changes land in trunk?

I'd say postpone. Adam's replication patches don't change the API, so
they aren't an issue for client libraries, but both moving the _view
endpoint to within the design doc path, and Damien's changes to the
behavior of bulk_docs, will effect client libraries.

If we can avoid making a release with APIs that are already
deprecated, I think it's worth the wait. Alternatively, we could wait
on Damien's branch (as it still requires some testing, and changes
CouchDB in a more fundamental way, but one that has less impact on
client libraries) but I'd be against doing a release without the
design doc resources patch. We've never had a release with show/list,
so doing one with a deprecated API places an unnecessary burden on
client and application developers, who will probably have to support
0.9.0 for a while.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson