couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JavaScript 1.8 Features in SpiderMonkey (Please?)
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2009 20:47:39 GMT
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan@ochtman.nl> wrote:
> On 23/03/2009 19:34, Paul Davis wrote:
>>
>> I don't think it'd be a good idea to require until it hits general
>> consumption (as in, shows up in package managers). Their build
>> procedure is at best, 'interesting'. Also, there's nothing to keep you
>> from linking couchjs against a newer version of the library. I haven't
>> groked all of the API breakage but there was a report on the list
>> awhile back that seemed to indicate that it only involved a minor
>> patch.
>
> Can you specify what's bad about their build procedure? I seem to recall
> that a lot of work on that was done in the past few months, and if not, I
> think I know who's in charge of it, so I could ask them about it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dirkjan

The new method is lots better than the old, but I'm still traumatized
by the 1.7 build. I think spidermonkey suffers from trying to be both
part of Firefox and an independent library.

And for reference, I mean traumatized as in, it took me a good half
hour to figure out how to build it. Then a couple hours of wasted work
to figure out that I hadn't built a threadsafe version because it
built a non-threadsafe (which changes the API) debug version by
default. I know that a *lot* of this has been addressed, but it's
still not quite a './configure && make && sudo make install" dummy
proof build which means that it would turn into a huge stumbling block
for lots of people wanting to use CouchDB.

HTH,
Paul Davis