couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 0.9 final sprint
Date Mon, 16 Mar 2009 03:05:54 GMT
On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 12:56:49AM +0100, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> An HTTP server should not deliberately send a 500 error message.
>> A 500 response denotes all hope is lost when processing a request.
>> If CouchDB can detect an invalid request is made, it should return
>> a 400 status code.
>
> The 5xx line of errors indicate an actual internal error with CouchDB.
>
> If the client is in error, then the 4xx line of errors should be used.
>
> --

I'm cool with making parameter errors a 400 response, but we should
make sure to do this for all detectable errors then. At the moment the
current code path is to throw an error which causes a 500 response. It
should be a relatively easy swap though I'd like to hear preference
for 0.9 or 0.10. I would probably lean towards 0.9 but I don't really
mind either way.