couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 21:56:40 GMT
On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com> wrote:
>> What feature of CouchDB would you like a student to work on
>> during the summer?
>
> I have a suggestion: build an LDAP server into CouchDB. Bind and read-only
> access to documents would be a good start. Add/modify/delete on documents,
> and search on views, would be even better.
>
> Working on this would be an opportunity for someone to get to grips with the
> OTP framework (gen_server, inet, asn1) whilst also interfacing with CouchDB
> at the Erlang level.

Good reminder. When authentication was introduced we basically just
put external authentication mechanisms on a back burner until a future
date. LDAP is a great idea, but I'd make the slight amendment to
include making a pluggable interface and then using LDAP as a
reference implementation.

HTH,
Paul Davis