couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Browning <>
Subject Re: Simple erlang plugins (was Re: couch_gen_btree: pluggable storage / tree engines)
Date Sun, 22 Mar 2009 14:41:26 GMT
To spark some additional conversation around plugins, is there a clear
idea how we would handle plugin X that also uses plugin Y? For
example, I could see the Erlang API, the partitioning/clustering
functionality, and individual pieces of the clustering as additional
plugins (consistent hashing algorithm being the immediately obvious
one). The partitioning would depend on the Erlang API and a consistent
hashing plugin being configured.

For now I'm just throwing additional modules in the src/couchdb
directory in my git branch but there are enough modules in there it
makes me hesitate to add more. We could separate these into multiple
folders by using Erlang packages, but a plugin system could accomplish
the same goal and provide additional benefit for 3rd-party plugins.

It's not a pressing priority, but getting a plugin system in-place
would better allow for 3rd-party development around CouchDB and make
it easier to release and version functionality separately from the
core app.

View raw message