couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Browning <ben...@gmail.com>
Subject Erlang API Discussion
Date Fri, 06 Mar 2009 00:16:39 GMT
A prerequisite for partitioning and a general nice-to-have feature is
an Erlang API for CouchDB. Let's get the discussion going; I'd love to
see an initial version of the API included with the 0.10 release.

The API will overlap quite a bit with the code in couch_http_db.erl,
couch_http_view.erl, etc. I propose refactoring this code into the
Erlang API methods and having the couch_http_*.erl files use the
Erlang API. This helps us reduce code duplication and will allow us to
test the Erlang API with the existing HTTP tests.

For the initial version of the API, I'd prefer to only expose a subset
of the HTTP API. Document CRUD methods are an obvious one and at least
a basic form of view queries would be nice. The Erlang API needs to be
just as stable, if not more stable, than the HTTP API - I'm open to
implementing more or less pending reasonable discussion.

The parameters passed in and data returned from the API should be
well-defined. I propose any complex data structures given as input or
returned from the API be records defined in couch_db.hrl or another
appropriate place. There are already records defined here for
documents and view query arguments, which might be all we need.

This should be enough to spark an initial discussion. I'll create a
page on the wiki for the API proposal to consolidate some of the
information once other people give their input.

Thanks,

Ben