couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: rep_security merge to trunk
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2009 23:01:03 GMT

On 10 Mar 2009, at 23:44, Damien Katz wrote:

> I think the rep_security branch is looking pretty solid. I still
> have work to do to merge with Adam's recent replicator changes.
>
> This patch breaks the file format and replication API, so
> replication with earlier versions is not possible. And the "all or
> nothing w/ conflict checking" transactions are gone. Which I think
> is good, because people were relying on it without understanding the
> rest of CouchDB doesn't support that feature.
>
> I'd like to go ahead and merge this to trunk. Comments, suggestions
> and objections please.

I have an app that could benefit of the other variant of bulk
transactions that you offered in the initial proposal, namely having
all writes go through, regardless if they create conflicts or not.
Replication already offers this and a bulk request with the
`new_edits:false` flag set will give me that behaviour, but not for
documents that don't have a `_rev` member. CouchDB crashes when I send
it. I believe the patch to be not too hard (adding new `_rev`s where
they are missing) or I missing anything? I'm happy to come up with a
patch, if there are no objections. I also don't think this would block
merging the branch to trunk.

Cheers
Jan