couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.9.0 release
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2009 03:32:50 GMT

On 25/03/2009, at 10:44 AM, Tim Parkin wrote:

> I'd be interested in knowing what happened to the community
> discussion around the removal of the bulk_docs 'feature'? I've tried
> to raise this a couple of times but had little reaction. Am I right
> in understanding this lack of reaction as meaning there is going to
> be no discussion?

I need the existing bulk_docs semantics, but I also need to stay on
trunk to get the replication enhancements.

Bulk_docs existing behaviour can be retained without forking and
without patching, as follows:

1. Copy the previous code into new files (in a new project) and edit
it - this is the real work;
2. Deploy CouchDB trunk;
3. Deploy this new project;
4. Setup your CouchDB configuration file to either repoint the
bulk_docs endpoint to your new code, or adds your new code at a new
4. When you start CouchDB, do this: ERL_AFLAGS='-pa <path to your new
project beam files>' couchdb ...

CouchDB's configuration mechanism allows you to completely change what
endpoints do what, and you can add arbitrary Erlang 'plugins'.

Note that this is still called CouchDB, so anyone with any concern
about that can rest easy.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Always have a vision. Why spend your life making other people’s dreams?
  -- Orson Welles (1915-1985)

View raw message