couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Please allow _prefix for auto-created _id
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 04:35:15 GMT

On 08/03/2009, at 1:39 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Antony Blakey
> <antony.blakey@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't see how this would solve the problem of e.g. double
>> invocations of a
>> replicate/compact/purge POST. I'm not sure what kind of delays
>> between
>> double POSTs one needs to deal with, but given that POSTs (and
>> maybe all
>> methods) do have this problem (regardless of whether the error is
>> in the
>> browser stack or middleware), this would seem to be a generic
>> solution that
>> cannot be solved in the client.
>>

> The ingredients for solving it are deterministic revs and
> non-colliding client-specified docids.

I must be missing something - how does this stop a double POST to /
replicate et al caused by a browser stack or middleware error?

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Hi, I'd like to do $THING. I know that $SOLUTION_A and $SOLUTION_B
will do it very easily and for a very reasonable price, but I don't
want to use $SOLUTION_A or $SOLUTION_B because $VAGUE_REASON and
$CONTRADICTORY_REASON. Instead, I'd like your under-informed ideas on
how to achieve my $POORLY_CONCEIVED_AMBITIONS using Linux, duct tape,
an iPod, and hours and hours of my precious time.
   -- Slashdot response to an enquiry