couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Removing MOVE
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:20:42 GMT
Hi dev@,

CouchDB supports the HTTP method MOVE to move a
document to a new document id within a database. MOVE
is really just a convenience method for COPY & DELETE.
In fact internally, it does just that. Damien says the COPY &
DELETE that MOVE does under the hood is not atomic on a
single node. And it is hard to support in the multi-node setup.

Hence, I propose to remove the MOVE feature. A client
can simply do COPY & DELETE to achieve the same
result (modulo having a concurrent change to the source
doc between the COPY and the DELETE which should
be taken care of by the application anyway).

I have a patch that I'll commit if no one objects here.

Cheers
Jan