couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Introducing CouchDB Ltd.
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 16:49:38 GMT
Standard disclaimer: I am not a lawyer.

The name of the official project is Apache CouchDB. I see CouchDB as
being like Linux, where (as far as I know anyone) is free to use the
name. So, IMO it is completely fair to name a company CouchDB Ltd. But
it also means anyone else can name their company CouchDB LLC or The
Real CouchDB Ltd. This is a bigger problem. You don't have a
defensible trademark.

-Damien