couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Christopher Lenz <cml...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: REST, Hypermedia, and CouchApps
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 16:58:13 GMT
On 05.03.2009, at 23:34, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2009, at 21:38, Christopher Lenz wrote:
>> Actually, I'd go even further, and suggest that the "show" and
>> "list" features should be part of that CouchApp plugin, and not
>> actually included with CouchDB itself. You really only need those
>> features when you're developing CouchApp-style applications. Moving
>> them into a corresponding plugin would help keep CouchDB itself
>> lean and clean.
>
> show and list are useful in the non-couchapp case. a list gives you
> RSS/Atom feeds on views (say blog posts or events) for free. a show
> would help you to mangle your data for other systems that e.g. like
> to consume XML. I like that this can be done without a middleware
> layer.
>
> I'm +1 on modularizing additional features on the Erlang level, but
> show & list I'd consider core CouchDB and -1 on making them optional.

"core" is a strong word for something where you just said "I like that
this can be done without a middleware layer".

I'm not convinced. I'm talking about the case where you already have
"middleware" anyway -- if you don't, you have a CouchApp-style app.
Generating Atom, HTML, and such is pretty darn convenient for me with
Python and Genshi, I don't think moving that into CouchDB show/list
functions will buy me anything. And since I'm hiding CouchDB itself
behind that middleware I'd have to proxy the CouchDB responses through
it anyway.

Note that I'm just stating my opinion, I knew it'd be controversial,
especially with the CouchApp fans :P
I'm totally willing to accept the majority preference here, which
seems pretty clearly in favor of show/list in core.

Cheers,
--
Christopher Lenz
   cmlenz at gmx.de