couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Please allow _prefix for auto-created _id
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 05:49:37 GMT

On Mar 8, 2009, at 12:32 AM, Antony Blakey wrote:

> On 08/03/2009, at 3:33 PM, Damien Katz wrote:
>
>> Replication and compaction are idempotent.
>
> Yes, although my experience has been that starting concurrent
> replications with the same parameters is a nightmare.

It shouldn't cause any problems, just extra work for the replicator.
If something else is happening, help us out and create a bug report.

> I guess Adam is going to have that fixed.
>
> One further area where this might be a problem is with your new bulk
> operation semantics i.e. a repeated POST will generate spurious self-
> conflicts, unlike single-doc updates - is that correct?

There is no difference between bulk update and single doc updates. It
all calls the same code in the database layer.

> Given the problem with POST is generic, and can be most effectively
> (only?) be solved with server cooperation, this still seems to me
> like a good idea. Furthermore, this would simplify the programing
> model for the user because they could assume that POSTs are never
> repeated rather than having to deal with the possibility. IMO
> servers should alway reify the concept of once-only operations given
> you can't rely on the network or the browser. Anyway, it seems I'm
> an outlier on this, and it's not like I have the time to do it.
>
>> Non-sequitur, you working on getting that file name patch finished?
>> It would be nice to have that for 0.9.0
>
> Not at the moment - I'm holding off until I see what I'm going to
> have to do to restore fail-on-conflict bulk operations for my
> private/deployed version - I'm not trying to convince anyone else.
> I'm accumulating my spare time for that in preference to filenames,
> because fail-on-conflict is in my face right now. Once I have that
> problem solved, if filenames is still outstanding then I'll
> resurrect it. Please don't read anything into that.

Ok, good luck with that. Whenever you get some spare time it would be
great if you could help out the project.

-Damien