couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Wout Mertens <wmert...@cisco.com>
Subject Re: %2f vs / in _design vs regular docs?
Date Mon, 09 Mar 2009 14:57:37 GMT
On Mar 7, 2009, at 7:05 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Wout Mertens
> <wout.mertens@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I noticed the following discrepancy: When you try to request a design
>> document, and you encode the / as %2F, couchdb will redirect you to
>> a URL
>> with %2f decoded to /, which works.
>>

>> _show/wiki/showpage/section/subsection/page
>
> The problem becomes distinguishing between documents and attachments.

> Docids are always urlencoded, with the exception of _design/ docids,
> which can be requested with the / unencoded (the redirect was put
> there to make that rule self-documenting.)

Well IMHO that punishes libraries that try to do good things for the
user, now they have to special-case _design/ to avoid a network round-
trip. I'd be happier if both ways just worked.

> Slashes in attachment names can also be used unencoded, so
>
> /db/wiki/showpage/section/subsection/page address the attachment named
> "showpage/section/subsection/page" on the document with id "wiki"

Right. So in summary, the rule is either of these:

1. http://server/dbname/document/path/in/attachment
2. http://server/dbname/_special/document

where document is always url-encoded? If so I'll update the wiki.
(API_Cheatsheet and HTTP_Document_API)

> This was discussed intensively on this thread:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@couchdb.apache.org/msg00018.html

I should have found that, sorry, I didn't think of search first :(

Wout.