couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Amos Hayes <>
Subject Re: Reverse proxy design?
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2009 17:57:22 GMT

OK. Thanks Chris. When you say that almost all tests passed when
proxied to a different domain (still on /), do you think there is
something wrong with how couchdb is operating or is it just that the
tests are broken in that environment? I assume the later if you are
talking about test-suite tests.

I can't jump into couchdb proper, but I'm willing to have a peek at
the javascript client side.

Amos Hayes
Geomatics and Cartographic Research Centre
Carleton University

On 11-Mar-09, at 1:20 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 9:31 AM, Amos Hayes
> <> wrote:
>> Hello. I've been trying to get couchdb to live happily behind under a
>> proxied URL like:
>> And having read through the user list and the instructions at
>> and
>> experimenting a
>> fair bit, I am still at a loss for how to make it live happily
>> while deeper
>> than root. Having it proxy to root still causes problems, at least
>> with
>> futon and in some tests (using curl seems OK in my very basic
>> queries), and
>> having it nested deeper causes futon lots of grief. I'm sorry if
>> I'm mixing
>> up couchdb and futon, but for a new user/admin, they are lumped
>> together.
> CouchDB should work just fine behind a properly configured proxy, even
> when stuck into an additional root. I've had success getting my
> proxied CouchDB to pass almost all tests (when proxied to a subdomain,
> not a deeper root.)
> CouchDB clients (like Futon and the test-suite client) will likely
> need some patches so they can work in rerooted deployments. My guess
> is that the patches to jquery.couchdb.js to allow a configurable path
> prefix would be fairly localized, and that once that's done, there may
> be a few little patches needed to the rest of Futon. (For instance to
> auto configure the path prefix.)
> If you've got a need and the JavaScript chops, I can see a patch for
> this being accepted.
> Chris
> --
> Chris Anderson