couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Bradford Winfrey <bradswinf...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JavaScript 1.8 Features in SpiderMonkey (Please?)
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2009 18:45:21 GMT
If I recall, I believe Jan tried implementing it a while back to see if TraceMonkey sped things
up any in regard to the views and (I believe) he found it was a lot heavier in terms of memory
consumption.  Something to watch for if it hasn't already been remedied (it likely has, it
was in a rather early stage at that time, but still).

Brad

________________________________
From: Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>
To: dev@couchdb.apache.org
Sent: Monday, March 23, 2009 1:34:50 PM
Subject: Re: JavaScript 1.8 Features in SpiderMonkey (Please?)

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Zachary Zolton
<zachary.zolton@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The functional features in JavaScript 1.8 could greatly aid developers
> when writing map-reduce functions for views.
>
> Does anyone oppose upping the language version? If so, I'd appreciate
> hearing their reasons.

I don't think it'd be a good idea to require until it hits general
consumption (as in, shows up in package managers). Their build
procedure is at best, 'interesting'. Also, there's nothing to keep you
from linking couchjs against a newer version of the library. I haven't
groked all of the API breakage but there was a report on the list
awhile back that seemed to indicate that it only involved a minor
patch.

HTH,
Paul Davis