couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Dave butlerdi <butle...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Introducing CouchDB Ltd.
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 21:17:45 GMT
Jan,

A fairly recent edition to Apache was Jini from Sun. It entered Apache as
River and has really had a hard time since coming to Apache, partially I
suppose from the name
change, but probably more due to politics and Suns direction with many of
the ideas from Jini.

I have been involved with many products coming out of Apache since it was
founded, and the successful ones do try their best to garner and reflect the
spirit of Apache in it's
meritocracy and neutrality. You guys have a great thing going, look at
http://rubyonrails.org/ecosystem and see how well these folks have done and
look to do something similar.

I am certain that you will end up in a much better position commercially
taking this approach.

It will do no good for anyone, especially us lowly users, if this thing gets
forked and flounders.

Again, just my .02€

--
Regards