couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Please allow _prefix for auto-created _id
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 05:32:35 GMT

On 08/03/2009, at 3:33 PM, Damien Katz wrote:

> Replication and compaction are idempotent.

Yes, although my experience has been that starting concurrent
replications with the same parameters is a nightmare. I guess Adam is
going to have that fixed.

One further area where this might be a problem is with your new bulk
operation semantics i.e. a repeated POST will generate spurious self-
conflicts, unlike single-doc updates - is that correct?

Given the problem with POST is generic, and can be most effectively
(only?) be solved with server cooperation, this still seems to me like
a good idea. Furthermore, this would simplify the programing model for
the user because they could assume that POSTs are never repeated
rather than having to deal with the possibility. IMO servers should
alway reify the concept of once-only operations given you can't rely
on the network or the browser. Anyway, it seems I'm an outlier on
this, and it's not like I have the time to do it.

> Non-sequitur, you working on getting that file name patch finished?
> It would be nice to have that for 0.9.0

Not at the moment - I'm holding off until I see what I'm going to have
to do to restore fail-on-conflict bulk operations for my private/
deployed version - I'm not trying to convince anyone else. I'm
accumulating my spare time for that in preference to filenames,
because fail-on-conflict is in my face right now. Once I have that
problem solved, if filenames is still outstanding then I'll resurrect
it. Please don't read anything into that.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.
  -- Albert Schweitzer