couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <>
Subject Re: Where to add documentation for bulk updates
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:03:55 GMT
Thanks for fixing this, Brian.  I'm not sure I'm totally happy with these
semantics.  Unless I am missing something (more than possible as I'm still
learning CouchDB), for a bulk update with N documents, you would have to do
1 round-trip for the update and N round-trips to check for conflicts (or, if
not using all-or-nothing, N round-trips to check and see if the update was
successful or not).

Isn't there any way for the response to a bulk update to tell you which
documents have conflicts or failures?

If what I'm saying above is correct, I would probably just do regular PUTs
and skip bulk update functionality altogether.

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 7:08 AM, Brian Candler <> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 08:27:09AM +0000, Chris Anderson wrote:
> > Don't be afraid to edit it!
> I just didn't want to stomp on it while someone else was working, and
> create
> more edit conflicts :-)
> I have fixed it now, except that I still don't know whether the
> all_or_nothing commit boundary is preserved during replication.
> Regards,
> Brian.

David W. Van Couvering

I am looking for a senior position working on server-side Java systems.
 Feel free to contact me if you know of any opportunities.