couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <david.vancouver...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Where to add documentation for bulk updates
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:59:56 GMT
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 7:23 AM, Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com> wrote:

> Scroll down to "Transactional Semantics with Bulk Updates" (either in
> normal
> view or raw view)
>
> After that section I see:
>
> ---- /!\ '''Edit conflict - other version:''' ----
>
> Followed by a different version of the same para, then
>
> ---- /!\ '''Edit conflict - your version:''' ----
>
> ---- /!\ '''End of edit conflict''' ----
>
> I believe the second version is more accurate, but I look forward to seeing
> some definitive information here.

OK, thanks, I didn't read down far enough.  I fixed the conflict and made
some more updates to make the overall section more clean and consistent, and
added some more meat to the examples.

> Also, I have a particular question. The wiki says that the old atomic
> _bulk_docs was removed because it could not be implemented on a sharded
> cluster without resorting to two-phase commits. However, I cannot see how
> the new semantics of _bulk_docs?all_or_nothing=true can be implemented
> across such a cluster without two-phase commit either.

That's a good point.  I am pretty sure what you actually get
all_or_nothing_per_shard :).  Since CouchDB doesn't do its own sharding
right now, I am not sure if we need to document this?

David

--
David W. Van Couvering

I am looking for a senior position working on server-side Java systems.
 Feel free to contact me if you know of any opportunities.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidvc
http://davidvancouvering.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/dcouvering