couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Parkin <i...@timparkin.co.uk>
Subject Re: Restricting user interactions to a single document -- was [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.9.0 release
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2009 19:48:54 GMT
Damien Katz wrote:
>> The upshot appears to be that CouchDB is limited to only changing a
>> single document at a time through a user interface (unless you want to
>> add lots of work to handle conflicts).. Could I have a confirmation of
>> this so I can blog about it.
>
> That pretty much true, CouchDB offers no inter-document consistency
> guarantees.

I don't want to have to repeat myself but *it's not about the
consistency or atomicity*. It's about being able to make two or more
changes in a single request (via a UI or API) and if the last one fails,
being able to roll the first ones back and tell the user "Sorry,
something went wrong, would you like to try again" instead of "you have
a partial success, how would you like to deal with it?"

>> It's a pretty fundamental restriction and
>> one I'm sure people who want to use CouchDB would want to know about.
>
> You could help by updating the wiki documentation to make this clearer.
> Multiple places if necessary.

Very happily - are you confirming that we will never have a way of
applying a set of changes and have them all succeed or all fail?

e.g. if we could check for conflicts in a validation, that would solve
the problem.

If the discussion is over (and I hope it isn't) then I'll happily
publicise and document the issue, however saddened I am about the
conclusion.

Tim