couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Parkin <i...@timparkin.co.uk>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CouchDB 0.9.0 release
Date Wed, 25 Mar 2009 11:18:31 GMT
Chris Anderson wrote:
>> I'd be interested in knowing what happened to the community discussion
>> around the removal of the bulk_docs 'feature'? I've tried to raise this a
>> couple of times but had little reaction. Am I right in understanding this
>> lack of reaction as meaning there is going to be no discussion?
>

> We've been concentrating on bulk docs documentation. In my experience,
> most people who understand that the unit of consistency is the
> document start to see ways of solving problems that work in a
> key/value world. Some use-cases don't fit, but for the 80% case we're
> better off with the simpler consistency model.

I think the real issue is one of misunderstanding.. I personally just
want a way to rollback changes in order to deal with user interface
issues. The document I posted discusses the issue and highlights the
fact that the problem is not about consistency, it's about providing a
way to rollback changes if part of them fails so that a user can apply a
change by clicking submit and get a success/fail response.

... snip ...

> I think the general understanding is that CouchDB is built with a
> certain minimalist simplicity in mind. We appreciate that some of our
> users have demands that exceed our out-of-the-box functionality. I
> think once we have a solid understanding of how to use CouchDB in a
> distributed manner, we'll be on steady footing for more ambitious
> consistency guarantees.

Just to reiterate.. it's not about consistency, it's about showing users
a logical success/fail rather than saying to them.. "well a part of your
change worked, part of it didn't - what would you like to do now?".

The document I posted (I'll write a blog post about it if it helps)
details the issue.

Tim