couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Hammond <skippy.hamm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: GSoC and CouchDB Windows porting
Date Tue, 24 Mar 2009 23:20:25 GMT
On 25/03/2009 1:25 AM, Alexander Chekmarev wrote:
> I am a student just interested in CouchDB architecture and, what is more
> excellent, that is written,commonly, in erlang. I would like to participate
> GSoC 2009 with Apache.

Hi Alex,
   Let me throw in some comments - but please be aware that I'm not very
experienced with couchdb and certainly don't speak for any of the couch
committers - but do have an interest in couch on Windows.

The way I see it, there are 2 major steps to getting things sane on Windows:

* Instructions so that couchdb can be cobbled together, somewhat
manually, by an experienced Windows user.   This is the intent of
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_on_Windows, but it is out of
date in important ways.  I'm slowly working my way through this in an
attempt to get a hacked build together and working from the trunk.

* Ultimately though, we need a solid, reproducible process for creating
a Windows installer that can be automated by anyone semi-competent on
Windows.  This itself has a number of steps, including managing the
dependencies, building the bits of couchdb itself, deciding how to best
bundle/detect erlang binaries then a final installer which ties it all
together.  Ideally this should be capable of being fully automated so
could run from a suitably setup 'buildbot' or similar.

I'd recommend you focus on the second of these tasks - hopefully the
first will have been done by the time you need it - and could
theoretically be skipped anyway.

I'd also recommend this task try and stick to the existing build process
as much as possible using cygwin.  There will be complications though;
for example, it would probably be best to have the Windows build process
point at a prebuilt seamonkey rather than taking on the world of pain
that is the Mozilla build process.  My last experiments with this showed
that things weren't that far from working - eg, support the the
Microsoft compilers already exists etc.

Hopefully this is enough to give you some ideas, or will prompt some
followup discussion by the couch developers...

Cheers,

Mark