couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Sven Helmberger <sven.helmber...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Reverse proxy design?
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:20:43 GMT
Amos Hayes wrote:

> Hello. I've been trying to get couchdb to live happily behind under a
> proxied URL like:
>
> http://example.com/couchdb/
>
> And having read through the user list and the instructions at
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Apache_As_a_Reverse_Proxy and
> experimenting a fair bit, I am still at a loss for how to make it live
> happily while deeper than root. Having it proxy to root still causes
> problems, at least with futon and in some tests (using curl seems OK in
> my very basic queries), and having it nested deeper causes futon lots of
> grief. I'm sorry if I'm mixing up couchdb and futon, but for a new
> user/admin, they are lumped together.
>
> So I thought I would ask the dev list what (if any) plans are there to
> have couchdb and futon live happily in a proxied environment -
> particularly one that may be nesting it somewhere other than /. This
> seems like a pretty fundamental requirement for something that aims to
> play well with web admins, but maybe I'm an oddball. Or maybe you just
> haven't gotten there yet. Anyway, since you guys seem to be trying to
> lock a few design decisions down before 0.9, I thought I would bring
> this up in the hopes that you won't close the door on this sort of use.
>
> Thanks for your time and innovative software!
>
> --
> Amos

I had some success with running futon behind a reverse proxy..
My app is basically a java/spring/webmvc based app that uses jcouchdb
for data-storage. set up some mod_rewrite rules in apache for proxying
attachments directly and a rule to forward to a special java proxy
controller that can

a) do access control for the couchdb databases and
b) patch javascripts futon uses to change futon

apache site file http://fforw.de/static/files/markapp

JS File to change futon's behaviour to work behind a "/futon" prefix
http://fforw.de/static/files/jquery-futon-patch.js

Seemed to work fine so far.. wish I had more time to actually work on this..

Regards,
Sven Helmberger