couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com>
Subject Re: Please allow _prefix for auto-created _id
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 17:05:44 GMT

On Mar 7, 2009, at 3:38 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rest+non+idempotent+POST+to+a+collection&l=1
> and more here:
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rest+non+idempotent+POST+to+a+collection

Haha. lmgtfy.com is really cute, and I've bookmarked it to use against
annoying Help-Vampires on some other mailing lists I'm on, but in this
case particular case it was pretty useless — it took me to an IBM page
on "Implementing REST services with WebSphere" which looks like a
basic intro to REST, with no mention of the POST problems being
discussed here. Down around the fourth hit I found "Double POST and
POE" which seems relevant; it would have saved me a couple of minutes
had you just linked directly to that.

Morals:
• A search query is a really fragile thing to link to, given how
frequently Google updates its index.
• Don't point people to a "fuck-you" site like lmgtfy.com unless
they're asking about something sufficiently obvious that the search
query is a no-fail.

—Jens

PS: Anyone got a link to the specific CFNetwork bug? I used to work
with the CFNetwork and Safari teams, and I don't remember this coming
up.