couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Please allow _prefix for auto-created _id
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 18:43:00 GMT

On 8 Mar 2009, at 18:05, Jens Alfke wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2009, at 3:38 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>
>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rest+non+idempotent+POST+to+a+collection&l=1
>> and more here:
>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rest+non+idempotent+POST+to+a+collection
>
> Haha. lmgtfy.com is really cute, and I've bookmarked it to use
> against annoying Help-Vampires on some other mailing lists I'm on,
> but in this case particular case it was pretty useless — it took me
> to an IBM page on "Implementing REST services with WebSphere" which
> looks like a basic intro to REST, with no mention of the POST
> problems being discussed here. Down around the fourth hit I found
> "Double POST and POE" which seems relevant; it would have saved me a
> couple of minutes had you just linked directly to that.
>
> Morals:
> • A search query is a really fragile thing to link to, given how
> frequently Google updates its index.
> • Don't point people to a "fuck-you" site like lmgtfy.com unless
> they're asking about something sufficiently obvious that the search
> query is a no-fail.

In hindsight my reply seems childish and not productive at all.
My apologies.

> —Jens
>
> PS: Anyone got a link to the specific CFNetwork bug? I used to work
> with the CFNetwork and Safari teams, and I don't remember this
> coming up.

http://osdir.com/ml/db.couchdb.devel/2008-07/msg00127.html

I might be wrong in asserting that system-level HTTP is handled by
CFNetwork or some other framework or by Safari, but I think I remember
it being that way.

Cheers
Jan