couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McDaniel <couc...@autosys.us>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:23:22 GMT

Subject ID : couchdb-erlang-interface

Title      : Erlang interface to CouchDB to bypass HTTP/JSON layer

Keywords   : Erlang, CouchDB, interface

 This work would provide a direct interface to CouchDB.
 It could be used by, e.g., wpart_* interfaces from Erlang-Web,
 or by appmods in YAWS.  It would interface directly to the
 CouchDB Erlang layer using Erlang term(), not JSON conversions.
 There would be no HTTP involved, only direct Erlang message
 passing or fun calls to/from CouchDB.  If a message passing
 design is used, distributed access to one or more CouchDB nodes
 may be simplified (e.g. a cluster of web servers accessing
 one or more CouchDB nodes).  Interface should minimally
 provide same functionality as that available to view servers
 or via HTTP interface and allow for maintenance to keep
 parity when new functionality is added.

 Since modifications/additions of CouchDB source is involved,
 additional value could be added by providing another interface
 to couch_query_servers which can pass lists of documents
 rather than a single document (to view servers and via the
 Erlang interface).  This would allow parallel map functions
 to run on subsets of the list provided by couch_query_servers.
 couch_query_server could dynamically check memory and adjust
 the number of documents sent.

~Michael