couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Bulk Docs
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:14:20 GMT

On 12/03/2009, at 10:47 PM, Tim Parkin wrote:

> I noticed a commit that suggests "atomic" bulk docs will no longer be
> working on trunk. Is now the right time to discuss the possibility of
> keeping a version of "atomic" bulk docs somewhere in couchdb rather
> than
> removing the functionality?
>
> I think I understand that there is a philosophical reason for not
> having
> it in (I think the reasoning is "don't have features in couchdb that
> won't work distributed" but I may be wrong ) but I personally am of
> the
> opinion that trying to hide the difference between a single couchdb
> and
> network of couchdbs at the cost of removing functionality that has
> legitimate use is not a good idea.
>
> Anyway - I don't want to start a thread prematurely but also didn't
> want
> to miss adding my opinion. I'm happy to hang fire on discussion until
> later though..

I agree that hiding the distinction between single-node and multi-node
operation is not a good idea.

However I think this discussion has come and gone, the outcome being
that a) couchdb requires, by design, that no functionality is provided
that cannot be provided under a loosely couple cluster model without
distributed transaction support; and b) therefore, atomic bulk docs
e.g. all-or-nothing-fail-on-conflict will not be provided by couchdb.

I require this functionality, and don't care about *loosely coupled*
clustering, and hence have to maintain a fork that retains this
functionality. This fork cannot be called CouchDB unless it is purely
a point-in-time snapshot from the subversion repository - anything
else is regarded as a derived work by Apache, understandably.

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

Don't anthropomorphize computers. They hate that.