couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Google Summer of Code
Date Tue, 03 Mar 2009 12:06:43 GMT
Hi dev@,

last year, we missed the Google Summer of Code* application
deadline by hours (my fault). This year, applications run on
March 9th-13th.

*http://code.google.com/soc/

GSoC provides an excellent opportunity for open source projects
to get students involved with the project and have larger areas of
functionality covered.

What is needed from our end (roughly, see the rest of the GSoC
FaQ*** for more info)?

  - A single person as an administrative contact. I volunteer for this
    position if nobody else is eager to take it.

  - A "list of ideas"** that includes a number of sub-projects that
students
    can apply for when working on CouchDB. This is where you come
    in! :) What feature of CouchDB would you like a student to work on
    during the summer?

  - A vote on which student-proposals to accept.

  - Once we have one or more students with an idea each, we'll need a
    mentor for each sub-project.

** From the GSoC FaQ***:

An "Ideas" list should be a list of suggested student projects. This
list is meant to introduce contributors to your project's needs and to
provide inspiration to would-be student applicants. It is useful to
classify each idea as specifically as possible, e.g. "must know
Python" or "easier project; good for a student with more limited
experience with C++." If your organization plans to provide an
application template, you should include it on your Ideas list.
Keep in mind that your Ideas list should be a starting point for
student applications; we've heard from past mentoring organization
participants that some of their best student projects are those that
greatly expanded on a proposed idea or were blue-sky proposals not
mentioned on the Ideas list at all.

*** http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2009/faqs.html