couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Removing MOVE
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 12:15:01 GMT

On 17 Mar 2009, at 13:01, Noah Slater wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 12:58:46PM +0100, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>> the feature doesn't work as advertised and creates false expectations
>> about atomicity of operations.
>
> As advertised? The only intrinsic advertisement is the word MOVE
> itself.

MOVE is commonly understood to be an atomic sequence of copy & delete.
In CouchDB (single or multi-node) MOVE is not atomic.

> If there is a problem with expectation, this can be solved with
> documentation.

I don't think we can implement MOVE for multi-node CouchDB without
too much effort (if at all). This is much like the old bulk_docs
behaviour
that we dropped for the same reasons.

I don't think documentation can help here :)

Cheers
Jan