couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: I got a little carried away ...
Date Thu, 05 Mar 2009 12:19:37 GMT
Thanks Adam, this looks promising!

On 5 Mar 2009, at 02:34, Adam Kocoloski wrote:

> I was working through some replication tickets this week and
> thinking more and more that the replicator could benefit from being
> restructured along OTP principles.  So, I went ahead and did it.
> Here's the structure I've worked out so far:
>
> http://github.com/kocolosk/couchdb/tree/otpify-replication
>
> * couch_primary_services gets a new child
> (couch_replication_supervisor) which is itself a supervisor using a
> one_for_one strategy.
>
> * Replications are modeled as gen_servers and added as transient
> children of couch_rep_sup.  couch_rep_sup ensures that identical
> replications do not run simultaneously.
>
> * The gen_server spawn_links a separate process that enumerates the
> docs on the source and makes synchronous calls to the gen_server
> telling it to copy the documents that don't already exist on the
> target.
>
> * Opening and saving of documents and attachments is handled
> internally by the gen_server.  I'm hoping that concentrating all
> this activity in the server will help us do a better job of pipeline
> and memory management.
>
> Sorry for not discussing a change this big ahead of time.  Damien, I
> saw that you had some recent checkins related to replication
> security; I'd be happy to merge those in.  The replication API
> itself has not changed at all.

The worst that can happen is that we don't like that patch and you
worked for nothing. As long as you (or anyone) don't (doesn't) simply
commit a major patch to trunk without discussion, writing patches
without discussion is just fine :)

> This branch is still work-in-progress, but in my opinion it's almost
> as fast as and more robust than the code in trunk right now.  If it
> meets with peoples' approval and we can get some feedback from the
> various reporters in JIRA, it might make sense to tag it for 0.9.
> Cheers,

What are the open issues with that branch? How can we help?

Cheers
Jan