couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Antony Blakey <antony.bla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Please allow _prefix for auto-created _id
Date Sun, 08 Mar 2009 00:35:30 GMT

On 08/03/2009, at 10:48 AM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> http://osdir.com/ml/db.couchdb.devel/2008-07/msg00127.html (lmgtfy
> "safari sends post twice", seriously, this is tiring).

Sorry, I tried a number of searches (e.g. "safari double post bug"),
and couldn't find that.

Is it possible to get some reciprocal benefit of the doubt rather than
immediate hostility?

>> Those lmgtfy links seem to be about the double post being triggered
>> by the browser client, as opposed to e.g. a ruby client. I knew
>> about that problem, but I've not seen a problem report due to
>> *middleware* e.g. proxy/cache ignoring the non-idempotency of POST.
>
> The point is that CouchDB can't know if requests come from a broken
> or compliant middleware system with new ones coming up all the time.

But we're only talking about this problem in the context of XHR right?
And so the advice to not use POST without a UUID is specific to XHR
apps, rather than all use cases?

Antony Blakey
CTO, Linkuistics Pty Ltd
Ph: 0438 840 787

75% of statistics are made up on the spot.