couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: REST, Hypermedia, and CouchApps
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:04:13 GMT
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:50 AM, Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com> wrote:
>> One way to fix this it to give the resources made available by a
>> design document a common root. This means we can use hrefs like
>> "_show/docid" to link to a show function from an attachment.  So we
>> get paths like this:
>>
>> /db/_design/foo/_view/bar?limit=10
>> /db/_design/foo/_show/docid
>> /db/_design/foo/index.html
>
> Does this imply that attachment names can no longer be permitted to start
> with an underscore? If so I'd say that's very reasonable, being consistent
> with the rule for docids (*).
>
> You could consider that attachments starting with an underscore are
> "virtual" attachments, generated on demand.
>
> ISTM that the overall goal of this proposal is to make all the output of
> _design/foo accessible under the _design/foo namespace, so that views and
> lists can easily link to each other with relative URLs, not knowing that the
> design document's name is "foo".

You hit the nail on the head here.

> This also seems sensible to me. However, perhaps the name "_design" is no
> longer meaningful. The namespace would no longer cover just the definition
> of the map/reduce and list/show functionality, but also all of its output.

When I first came to the realization that to make relative links work,
the urls would have to get longer, I thought "hey, let's change
_design to _app"

I didn't bring it up in the first round because I didn't want to muddy
the waters. But now that it's brought up...

Hey, let's change _design/ to _app/

> Ha, there's another bikeshed to discuss :-)

sigh.

> (*) Such as rule would also allow other potential future uses, e.g.
>
>    /db/docid/_plugin

that is kind of a neat consequence of a no _rule for attachments. The
other alternative is to keep attachments in a dedicated namespace

/db/docid/_attachments/index.html

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com