couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using POSTs to get data [viz. COUCHDB-269 _list doesn't allow POST requests]
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2009 17:53:56 GMT
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 9:43 AM, Jens Alfke <jens@mooseyard.com> wrote:
> [This is in response to "(COUCHDB-269) _list doesn't allow POST requests",
> but I'm posting to the list as the issue seems to be broader than just the
> _list URI pattern.]
>
> Using POST to fetch documents seems a bit weird — by REST principles that
> should be a GET, shouldn't it?

Absolutely. We get this all the time. I'm happy to add GET with query
string for multi-key fetches.

> Is it the potential size of
> the resulting URI?

yes. practical limits mean that with long keys, there could be a hard
limit of only a few keys in a GET request. There is nothing wrong with
having GET and POST available. Patches welcome - there's a Jira ticket
for this in there somewhere, maybe it even has a patch already...

> (Is it kosher to pass a request body in a GET?)

Afaik, this doesn't work in the real world. Would be nice if it did...

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com