couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fail on a simple case on replication
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 04:25:19 GMT
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org> wrote:
> On another note, I was thinking about it some more, and I think that
> renaming _rev to _cc would be a huge pain in the ass for a lot of
> people (who don't go around abusing it) and it can probably be
> avoided.
>
> The only valid use case for requesting a particular _rev of a
> document, is in resolving conflicts introduced by replication. So if
> we restrict access to old revs (by default) to an endpoint which gives
> an array of documents (each conflicted rev) then it won't be usable as
> a revision control system, only as a conflict resolution system. If
> there's not an easy way to think you have implemented a version
> control system (eg no API endpoint for accessing non-conflicting revs)
> I bet we'll see misapprehension of _rev happen a lot less.

Trying to get this thread back on track about an actual small concrete
change to the code we could make that might keep people from trying to
use _rev as a versioning system.

Reiterating: I think the clean solution is to remove the API for
all conflicted revs (or of course the HEAD rev). I'll wait for people
to say why this is a bad idea before I say why it's a good idea.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Chris Anderson