couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fail on a simple case on replication
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:52:48 GMT
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 3:50 AM, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org> wrote:

> With Chris Andersons's "show" document and "list" view work, we have the
> beginnings of that.

I was just going to reply with this point. The only thing I see as
missing to make CouchDB fully "RESTful" is hypermedia. When the
representational states are linked together in a way that can be
browsed, then we've got "high REST". Show and list do that, but they
require developer work. I like to call CouchDB RESTy, and with a
little bit of dev work, it can be RESTful.

This is exactly the slide that comes before my explanation of show and
list, in my latest talk notes: "But that's not REST!"

On another note, I was thinking about it some more, and I think that
renaming _rev to _cc would be a huge pain in the ass for a lot of
people (who don't go around abusing it) and it can probably be
avoided.

The only valid use case for requesting a particular _rev of a
document, is in resolving conflicts introduced by replication. So if
we restrict access to old revs (by default) to an endpoint which gives
an array of documents (each conflicted rev) then it won't be usable as
a revision control system, only as a conflict resolution system. If
there's not an easy way to think you have implemented a version
control system (eg no API endpoint for accessing non-conflicting revs)
I bet we'll see misapprehension of _rev happen a lot less.

Chris

Stealing from Damien's blog header for my one-time special sig:

EVERYBODY KEEPS ON TALKING ABOUT IT
NOBODY'S GETTING IT DONE

(applies to myself as well)

--