couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <>
Subject Re: [RESULT]: Accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9 (Was: Re: VOTE: accept newline patch into CouchDB for 0.9)
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 03:08:00 GMT
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 1:31 AM, Christopher Lenz <> wrote:

> Providing a reason for your -1 on accepting the patch would be a good start
> ;)
> Personally, I don't think this whole thing is very important, but I don't
> see any harm in adding the trailing newline right now.

I'm basically of the same mind. It's not very important to me either
way. I don't use command line clients much (oh and my bash-prompt has
a newline in it anyway...) so I lean slightly toward the "be like
Google and others" side of the fence.

If I understand correctly, Damien's objections have to do with the
interaction between a trailing newline and a potential future
canonical JSON format. He may have a point but we'd likely have to
change other things in the future if we wanted to use that canonical
format anyway. (Or maybe I'm mischaracterizing his old argument...)

Chris Anderson

View raw message