couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fail on a simple case on replication
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 01:45:39 GMT
>> Would it be overly difficult to just add in the ability to keep a full rev
>> history based on a config setting?

This would be a pretty big change. As Antony says, once you go down
that path a little, you end up at something that is not really much
like Couch.

There's yet to be a really clear reference for how to do
application-versioned documents in CouchDB. Hopefully we'll address
the topic in the book, but we haven't gotten that far yet.

The way I see it, the salient options are:

A) leave it as _rev and answer the versioning question every week forever
B) rename it to _mvcc or _lock or _token or something else that
doesn't confuse people

The main drawback of B is that when we start renaming _rev, someone
else comes along and tries to take the opportunity to change _id, or
otherwise change the whole system. If we can stick to just renaming to
something clearer, I'm happy to go ahead with this.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com