couchdb-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Futon Future
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2009 18:08:50 GMT
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 9:47 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> On 17 Feb 2009, at 18:18, Damien Katz wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 17, 2009, at 6:53 AM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:
>>> List of installed apps. With CouchApps shaping up, Futon could show a
>>> list of
>>> installed applications alongside created databases. The way to detect
>>> CouchApps
>>> is not yet defined, though there are sensible proposals.
>>
>> I don't dislike this idea, but this seems more like an end user feature?
>> Like a start menu for CouchApps? I think most end users (as opposed to devs
>> and admins) should never need to use Futon.
>
> This is meant for a dev managing multiple CouchApps, not an end user. I
> agree
> that Futon is not an end-user tool. Granted, the line with user and dev is
> blurry
> with CouchApps, but this would make a dev's live easier to get a list of
> apps instead
> of hunting attachments in design docs (3-4 clicks at least). Yes,
> bookmarks..., but still :)

I'm working on code to detect CouchApps, and adding it to Futon is the
first place I can think of to put it. I think once devs have had a
chance to file off the rough edges, we can think about another global
handler for users (maybe /_apps ?) that will list all end-user
friendly design docs that are available on a particular node.

Ideally this would be an HTML representation available at "/" but
currently we're using that path for node info.

Chris

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchris.mfdz.com